Melania Trump, wife of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, spoke out for the first time Monday since a videotape was released of her husband making lewd comments about women in 2005, saying, “we are moving on.”
Trump made the comments to Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt in an interview to air in full Tuesday morning on “Fox & Friends.”
“Those words, they were offensive to me and they were inappropriate,” Trump told Fox News. “And he apologized to me. And I expect — I accept his apology. And we are moving on.”
She also said that it’s fair for the media and her husband to bring up former President Bill Clinton’s infidelities amid his wife’s presidential campaign.
“They’re asking for it. They started,” Trump said, referring to nude images from the 1990s published by the New York Post earlier this year. “They started from the beginning of the campaign putting my picture from modeling days.”
“That was my modeling days and I’m proud what I did. I worked very hard,” she added.
See the Fox News 2016 battleground prediction map and make your own election projections. See Predictions Map →
Melania Trump’s image later was used in a negative ad campaign during the Republican primary.
At the time of its release, Donald Trump accused former rival Ted Cruz of being involved and responded by tweeting an unflattering image of the Texas senator’s wife. Cruz denied involvement in the release of the photos.