United Nations: 15 Peacekeepers Dead, Dozens Hurt in Massive Attack in Congo

Link to Source

U.N peacekeepers stand behind coffins with the remains of Tanzanian peace keepers killed by rebels, during a memorial ceremony in Beni, eastern Congo, Monday, Dec. 11, 2017. The United Nations Deputy Special Representative for Congo says military offenses will be launched against rebels killed at least 15 Tanzanian U.N. peacekeepers last week in eastern Congo. (AP Photo/Al-Hadji Kudra Maliro)

December 11, 2017
OAN Newsroom

The United Nations is calling the recent attack on U.N. peacekeepers in the Congo one of the worst it has suffered in history.

The organization says Ugandan rebels launched a raid on a U.N. base Thursday, killing 15 Tanzanian peacekeepers and injuring 53 others.

U.N. officials believe the rebels to be part of the Allied Democratic Forces, which is a militant Islamist group with a strong presence in the region.

Congo’s U.N. base says the peacekeepers were coordinating a joint mission with the Congolese army, and were evacuating wounded people from the base.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres speaks at a news conference ahead of the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, September 13, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Segar

“I condemn this attack unequivocally… and these deliberate attacks against U.N. peacekeepers are unacceptable and constitute a war crime… I call on the DRC authorities to investigate this incident and swiftly bring the perpetrators to justice,” stated United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres.

It was the deadliest attack on a U.N. peacekeeping mission since 1993 when 22 Pakistani soldiers were killed in the Somalian capital of Mogadishu.