UPDATED 10:00 AM PT — Friday, Dec. 7, 2018
Officials are searching for the person responsible for reportedly calling in a bomb threat to the CNN offices in New York’s Time Warner Center building.
The New York Police Department responded to the call Thursday night to which CNN’s chief media correspondent Brian Stelter took to Twitter to provide an update, saying the area had been evacuated.
The NYPD is investigating a bomb threat near CNN NYC’s office at Columbus Circle. Due to the threat, the office has been evacuated. Right now CNN is airing taped programming due to the disruption.
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) December 7, 2018
Later reports revealed an unknown individual called and claimed there were at least five explosive devices in the building.
This comes as CNN’s Don Lemon was in the middle of a live taping when employees said they began to hear the newsroom’s emergency alarms go off, prompting Lemon to head outside to report live as the situation unfolded.
“I’m sure what was going through everyone’s head — what happens if a bomb goes off in this building, what am I going to tell my family, what happens to my family, who do I need to call first, what do I need to tell them?” said Lemon. “Those are all real issues and, again, I fear that this is going to become the new normal.”
After a thorough search, police announced they were unable to locate any devices and gave the all-clear for employees to reenter the building.
CEO Jeff Zucker then issued a statement expressing his gratitude for authorities’ swift response.
The threat comes less than two-months after 56-year old Cesar Sayoc was charged with federal crimes for allegedly mailing crude pipe bombs to several locations, including the CNN offices.